The Town of Woodstock, New Brunswick is seeking a Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) to provide leadership and strategic direction.
The Town of Woodstock is located
100 km’s west of the Capital City, Fredericton; 300 km west of Nova Scotia Border;
200 km east from the Quebec Border and 25 kms from State of Maine Border.
Settled on the banks of the Meduxnekeag and St. John Rivers at the intersection
of the Trans Canada Highway at Exits 185 and 188, and I-95 at Exit 12,
Woodstock was the first incorporated Town in New Brunswick on May 1, 1856.
Woodstock boasts some of the finest 19th Century Victorian heritage homes, churches and civic buildings. We are a vibrant, prosperous community - the service centre of the Upper St. John River Valley. Woodstock is a retail and commercial hub of the agricultural, forestry and transportation sectors, and an educational hub (boasting one of the 6 New Brunswick Community Colleges), in the regional economy.
The CAO is the administrative head of the municipality and is responsible for the overall administration of the Town of Woodstock. There are six direct reports and nearly 55 FTE’s with an overall combined budget of nearly $14M. This position is responsible for ensuring that Council’s strategic and business plans, goals and objectives are met while providing advice and support for the daily operations the municipality.
The successful candidate will be an innovative leader who is comfortable with communicating and collaborating across the organization, as well as building effective relationships with the Mayor, Council, all levels of government representatives, business and community organizations. Your background will include the ability to inspire and encourage staff with a shared sense of motivation and enthusiasm. You will also possess high levels of efficiency and productivity while dealing with a wide variety of tasks.
Some of Council’s current priorities include addressing new financial and capital planning standards as well as renewing foundational polices and bylaws. The Town of Woodstock is looking to ensure continuing momentum on its renewal of a municipal plan, including a long-term strategy for land development, downtown revitalization and climate change adaptation.
The successful candidate will possess the following:
· A relevant degree in Business or Public Administration, or equivalent.
· Although not mandatory, preference will be given to candidates with a Professional Accounting designation (CPA).
· Progressive senior managerial experience, preferably in a public sector or not for profit environment.
· Advanced skills in leadership, decision-making and stakeholder relations
· Demonstrated experience with:
- Financial and Budgeting Processes
- Strategic Planning
- Human Resource Management
- Capital Planning
· Strong management and interpersonal skills.
· The ability to work with elected officials, community volunteers, boards/committees, and the general public
· The ability to achieve effective results in a team setting.
Accountabilities and Responsibilities
· Provide positive leadership, direction, mentorship, and coaching to the municipal team.
· Ensure operations and budgets align with strategic plans and annual goals.
· Act as the Economic development officer for the Town, working with current and potential new developers to ensure the long-term viability of the community
· Ensure proper financial recording and reporting and budget management
· Recommend progressive and responsive policies, procedures, systems, and investments.
· Embrace innovation concurrent with the continuous pursuit of cost and operational efficiencies.
· Work with Council to help set vision and direction.
· Monitor all matters associated with risk, legal, finance, policy, business development, infrastructure, projects, safety, environment, and community.
· Build and develop relationships with community members, industries, governments, organizations, institutions, and other potential stakeholders.
Applicants must be willing to relocate to the Town of Woodstock. To learn more about the Town of Woodstock as a desirable place to live and work, we encourage you to explore the description of the area on our website at www.town.woodstock.nb.ca